|Locate a Monument - Muscatine County
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Muscatine County: Muscatine
GPS Coordinates: 41.424266 by -91.043016
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
There are several Civil War items of interest in Muscatineís Courthouse Square including a soldierís monument, cannons, plaque of the Gettysburg Address and a photo of 1923 GAR members. The original marble monument was dedicated in 1875. The marble had deteriorated to the point where it had to be replaced and a beautiful new granite monument, which replicated the original, was re-dedicated before a large crowd and many dignitaries on July 2, 2011. The first photo shows the new monument - the second shows the deteriorated condition of the soldier on the old monument. Also shown is an wonderful old postcard with the original monument. There are inscriptions of fallen soldiers from the county - a number have been added that had been inadvertantly left off the original monument. One soldier listed is Shelby Norman, identified as the first Iowan to be killed in battle in the Civil War. Norman, 18 years old, enlisted in the 1st Iowa Infantry Regiment and was killed at Wilsonís Creek on August 10, 1861. The Gettysburg Address is on the entrance to the Courthouse. The 1923 GAR photo is on the interior of the building.
There are two 5.82 inch 24 pounder flank howitzers, M1844 manufactured at Cyrus Alger & Co. - one in 1849 - the other does not have markings to identify the date. The cannons are pointed South and not by accident according to Muscatine County history. There is a veteranís monument for all veterans on the east side of the Courthouse lawn. A bronze 6 pounder field gun, M1841 was cast at Cyrus Alger & Co. in 1857 and is located in the center of the lower floor under the Courthouse rotunda. The monument is located on the corner of Walnut and E 3rd Street. Photos taken 11/9/07, 6/30/09 and 7/2/11.