|Locate a Monument - GAR Halls
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Dallas County: Redfield
GPS Coordinates: 41.590676 by -94.195500
Redfield GAR Hall
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
The building was rededicated on May 25, 2008 after restoration of the second floor and the the front porch/balcony. It serves as a museum with historical displays, military items and artifacts from the region on the first floor. The building has been donated to Dallas County and is operated by the Dallas County Conservation Board. It is believed it was built in the 1880ís and served the Collin Marshall GAR Post No. 43 which met on the upper floor. The SUVCW Grenville Dodge Camp #75 meets here on a periodic basis. It is located on the east side of the Redfield business district. The photo was taken May 25, 2008 at the rededication. The GAR Post was named for Lt. Collin Marshall of Redfield and the 39th Iowa Infantry Regiment. He was killed by Confederate guerrillas near Corinth, Mississippi on Independence Day 1863. Thank you to Historian Joy Neal Kidney's Blog for this information about Lt. Marshall.
On June 27, 2021, a plaque honoring Margaret Morrison was dedicated and placed on the building. Margaret, who passed away earlier in 2021, was responsible for saving the building and doing much to restore and maintain it. The second photo is a close-up of the plaque. The third photo shows the unveiling of the plaque by family members.