Iowa Civil War MonumentsIowa Civil War MonumentsIowa Civil War Monuments
Iowa Civil War Monuments: Frequently Asked QuestionsIowa Civil War MonumentsIowa Civil War Monuments: Suggest A MonumentIowa Civil War Monuments: Links
Iowa Civil War Monuments: Locate a MonumentIowa Civil War MonumentsIowa Civil War Monuments: Home
Locate a Monument - Monuments

Iowa Civil War Monuments
Henry County: Mount Pleasant
GPS Coordinates: 40.974850 by -91.551833

Harlan – Lincoln House at Iowa Wesleyan College
James Harlan represented Iowa in the Senate intermittently from 1855 to 1873. He was a strong supporter of Abraham Lincoln and was appointed Secretary of Interior shortly before Lincoln’s death in 1865. Daughter Mary Harlan married Robert Todd Lincoln and they and their children made many trips to Mt. Pleasant. The house was built in 1876 and served as a retirement home for James Harlan. There are a couple of Civil War items in the home including a drum made at Camp Harlan. Also shown is a statue of Senator Harlan located in front of the Chapel. Follow Main Street north of the business district to the house. Photos of the house and drum were taken 12/18/07. The photo of the statue was taken by Jo Porter on 5/11/19.

Harlan – Lincoln House at Iowa Wesleyan College Harlan – Lincoln House at Iowa Wesleyan College Harlan – Lincoln House at Iowa Wesleyan College

PRINT THIS INFORMATION