|Locate a Monument - Monuments
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Emmet County: Estherville
GPS Coordinates: 43.403516 by -94.836483
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
In 1862 there was an Indian uprising across the border in southwestern Minnesota. This created a great deal of panic in Iowa and the Northern Border Brigade, a militia unit, was established to protect Iowa from the north. Prior to the Civil War, regular army units were stationed in the region but they were sent to the war in the south. Company A of the Brigade built and was stationed at Fort Defiance in Estherville. This fort was originally named Fort Ingham but was renamed Fort Defiance. There was little or no activity with the Indians but residents of the region were very appreciative of the protection. The attractive monument is a 25 foot column with two plaques. It was erected by the Okamanpadu Chapter DAR in 1911. It is located at the Law Enforcement Center at 114 North Sixth Street north of the business district. The first photo was taken 5/4/08. Photos of the plaques were taken 9/18/18.