|Locate a Monument - Cannons
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Cass County: Griswold
GPS Coordinates: 41.234850 by -95.142650
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
In 1911, the government gave a cannon to the Griswold GAR post. In 1920, the cannon was turned over to the American Legion Post. In 1988, the Legion tried to sell it to a Pennsylvania collector. This generated a great deal of controversy and the SUVCW sued to prevent the sale. Unfortunately, the court agreed to permit the sale. This is a replica of the original. It is a 10 pounder Parrott field rifle. This is located in a small park on the west side of the business district with flags and a veterans monument. Photo taken 5/2/08.