|Locate a Monument - Cannons
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Black Hawk County: Waterloo
GPS Coordinates: 42.491483 by -92.356433
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
There are three 24 pounder flank howitzers, M1844 located in Elmwood Cemetery. Two of these were cast at Fort Pitt Foundry in 1858 - the other at Cyrus Alger & Co. in 1847. The cemetery is in the west central part of town. The entrance is at Baltimore and Sullivan. The monument is close to the entrance. The first photo was taken 3/28/08 - the second on a return visit 8/13/19.
Mike Magee provided historical information, "Articles in the Iowa State Reporter and Waterloo Courier indicate that Representative Nathan C. Deering of Osage introduced a bill in Congress in May 1882 that would provide three condemned cannon and four cannon balls for the soldier's lot at Elmwood Cemetery. The cannon and cannon balls arrived in January 1883." Today the cannon balls are gone. Thanks to Mike and Jo Porter for providing this information.