|Locate a Monument - Monuments
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Winneshiek County: Decorah
GPS Coordinates: 43.303050 by -91.787483
Civil War Soldier, Battle Flag and Cannon
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
This 40 foot monument is inscribed with 460 soldiers from the region on four sides of the monument. It is made of white bronze or zinc and is in good condition. There is a close-up of the inscription on the north side. The west side shows the image of Lincoln and many inscriptions of soldiers. It was originally dedicated in 1886 - then restored and rededicated in 1997. There is also a 24 pounder flank howitzer, M1844 which was cast at Cyrus Alger & Co. in 1863. The courthouse has a beautiful rotunda and atrium. A battle flag of the Decorah Guards - later Company D of the 3rd Iowa Infantry Regiment is on display on the top floor - also shown is the replica which displays more detail of the original. The courthouse is one block north of the business district at Main and Winnebago Streets. Photos in the courthouse and of the cannon were taken 3/27/09. A copy of an old undated postcard was provided by Danny Krock. Also, thanks to Jim Davenport and to Dan Senjem who took all the other photos in 2016.