|Locate a Monument - Monuments
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Linn County: Cedar Rapids
GPS Coordinates: 41.976740 by -91.671170
Veterans Memorial Building with Grant Wood Stained Glass Window
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
This building is a memorial with several wonderful Civil War items, including the stained glass memorial window designed by Grant Wood. The window includes a 16 foot "Lady of Mourning" and life size soldiers from the Revolutionary War through WWI. The window was completed in 1929. There are several plaques and a 12 pounder bronze mountain howitzer, M1835, cast at Cyrus Alger & Co. in 1862. It has an inscription saying it was captured in Philadelphia, Tennessee in 1863. There are two small military museums with military artifacts on each side of the lobby. The building is on an island in the Cedar River just west of the business district. Photos taken 3/11/08, 5/1/09, and 8/23/19.
Due to severe flooding on June 11 and 12, 2008, the building had been closed. The basement was completely flooded and there was a foot of water on the first floor (shown in photo). The auditorium floor was destroyed. The stained glass window has been repaired. On a return visit on 8/23/19, the restoration was complete and everything looked great In this wonderful memorial building.