|Locate a Monument - Monuments
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Appanoose County: Centerville
GPS Coordinates: 40.734316 by -92.874416
Monument and Cannon at Courthouse
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
This monument was constructed in 1869 and is one of the oldest in the state. The bronze tablets were attached in 1927. CW veterans in the area are listed on the tablets with many from the 6th and 36th Iowa Infantry Regiments and the 3rd Iowa Cavalry. The original inscriptions are fading. The cannon is a 12 pounder bronze Napoleon, M1857, cast at Henry N. Hooper and Co. There are cannon ball stacks on each side of the cannon and a ball in the chamber. There is some rotting of the carriage. Photos taken 10/13/07 and 7/23/14. The last photo is a copy of an old undated postcard provided by Danny Krock.