|Locate a Monument - Monuments
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Woodbury County: Moville
GPS Coordinates: 42.496433 by -96.056483
Civil War Monument
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
This attractive monument is in Arlington Cemetery on the NE side of town and just north of the golf course. Take Main Street east to the east side of town - then north to the cemetery. The photo shows the WRC inscription - the opposite side has the similarly named GAR Post 519. Thanks to Steve Hanken for providing information.
The cannon is a 3" tank gun, M5. There originally was a another cannon located here but it would have been scrapped for use during World War II. This likely is a "replacement cannon" provided sometime afterwards. The US ordnance took a 3" anti aircraft tube and mated it to an M2 105mm howitzer breech and carriage to develop this anti tank gun. It was used in 1943 and 1944 but more effective weapons were developed for use later in the War. Thanks to Tom Batha for identification and information about this cannon. Photos taken 9/26/21.
The third photo was received in January, 2022. Thanks to Kip Lindberg, a SUVCW member from the Phelps Camp in Missouri, for sending this wonderful old photo. It is in the archives of the Wilson's Creek National Battlefield. Kip has identified this as a Hotchkiss revolving cannon, probably 37mm. This could be US or could be one that was taken from the Spanish cruiser Almirante Oquendo which was severely damaged by the USS Iowa in the Battle of Santiago in the Spanish-American War. Written on the back of the photo is, "Dec 25 1916 to Jim Caughey from Uncle Ira." Uncle Ira is Ira C. Newton who served in the 147th Illinois Infantry Regiment. Thank you to Kip Lindberg and Linda Linn for helping to identify him. The final photo from Linda tells of his funeral in 1925 - he was the last CW soldier in the Moville GAR Post and appears to be well known in the area.