|Locate a Monument - Monuments
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Black Hawk County: Waterloo
GPS Coordinates: 42.493233 by -92.343650
Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
The five Sullivan brothers of Waterloo lost their lives when their ship, the USS Juneau, was sunk in the South Pacific on November 13, 1942. A wonderful new military museum was opened in 2008 in honor of the Sullivans. Besides displays about the Sullivans, there are displays on all wars, starting with the Civil War.
Shown below are statues of the brothers, a Civil War battle flag, cannons and a Civil War quilt. The flag's inscription is "Presented by The Ladies of Cedar Falls". The first cannon shown is a 3 inch ordnance rifle, No. 865, cast at the Phoenix Iron Works in 1865. The second cannnon is a bronze 6 pounder field gun manufactured at Cyrus Alger & Co. in 1855 with a registration of 132. It has KY carved on the muzzle. Information was from "Iowa Civil War Cannons" by Dennis Bresson. Dennis also made the mounting base for this cannon.
The Museum has an exhibit of Civil War era quilts from January 27 to September 1, 2012. The one shown below is a "signature quilt" where a veteran would pay to have his name included - then the quilt would be raffled to raise funds. The one shown was quilted by the WRC James Brownell Post # 26 from Cedar Falls. While most of the quilts in the exhibit are on loan, this one is in the collection of the Museum.
The Museum is just west of the business district on Washington Street and W. Park Avenue. Photos taken 3/27/09 and 2/1/12.