|Locate a Monument - Monuments
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Webster County: Fort Dodge
GPS Coordinates: 42.488333 by -94.198983
The Fort Museum and Frontier Village
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
The U.S. Army established Fort Clarke, later renamed Fort Dodge, in 1850 to protect settlers in this region. The fort was abandoned in 1853. A log building is the only thing remaining from the fort. Unfortunately, no plans remained of the original fort and the city used the plans for the fort from Iowa Lakes on the northern border which was built in 1862 due to the Indian uprising. Fort Dodge had no fort during this period - see Spirit Lake, Estherville and Peterson for more informtion about the 1862 Indian uprising. This replica fort was built in 1963.
Major Lewis Armistead had selected the site for the fort and had supervised its construction. He became a general in the Confederate Army and gained fame when he was killed in the Battle of Gettysburg. The original log building - called Armistead's office - is located within the fort and has information about General Armistead's career.
This is an excellent museum and village with many artifacts of interest. There are military items from all wars including the Civil War.
The photos below show a view of the fort, blockhouse, Armistead office building and some Civil War artifacts including the CW uniform and GAR banner. The Museum is located in the SW portion of town off Business 20 and Business 169. Photos taken 8/17/10.