|Locate a Monument - Monuments
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Henry County: Mt. Pleasant
GPS Coordinates: 40.976333 by -91.582550
Plaque honoring Medal of Honor Recipients - 4th Cavalry
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
The 4th Iowa Cavalry Regiment was mustered in here at Camp Harlan on November 23, 1861. The regiment had an unusually large number of Medal of Honor Recipients with 12 shown on this plaque. With Camp Harlan in the background, the plaque was dedicated on May 28, 2011. Shown in the photo are Pat Ryan White, Henry County Historian, two uniformed members of the Southeastern Iowa Civil War Roundtable, Senator Dennis Black, and the VFW Commander. Senator Black, an expert on the Medal of Honor, is the main speaker at the dedication. While there is some difference of opinion whether there were 8 or 12 Recipients from this regiment, it is still a remarkable number from a single regiment. Also see the plaque for Camp Harlan which is listed as a separate monument. The plaque is located at the corner of Hickory and Courtland on the NW side of Mt. Pleasant. Photos taken 5/28/11.