|Locate a Monument - Monuments
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Cedar County: Springdale
GPS Coordinates: 41.687483 by -91.220217
Maxson House where John Brown Stayed
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
There is a plaque on a boulder marking the location of the William Maxson (spelled Maxon on the plaque) House which was a stop on the Underground Railroad and the place John Brown and his men stayed in 1857 while planning their raid at Harpers Ferry. The house has been torn down. This is near Springdale, which was home to Quakers and a center of abolitionism. The plaque was erected by the DAR in 1924. Take County Road X40 north of Springdale - turn right (east) onto 280th Street. Turn left (north) on Hayes and go about one tenth of a mile to the plaque which is on the left side of road at the entrance to several farm buildings. Thank you to Dan Tvedt for notification of this monument. The first photo was taken 8/3/20 - the second one 5/28/11.