|Locate a Monument - Scott County
Iowa Civil War Monuments|
Scott County: Davenport
GPS Coordinates: 41.521197 by -90.571886
Dred Scott Marker
PRINT THIS INFORMATION
Dred Scott was a slave who was owned by Dr. John Emerson. Dr. Emerson was a surgeon in the Army and was transferred to posts throughout the country including a number in free states. Scott sued for his freedom - eventually the Supreme Court ruled against him in 1857 in what has been called the "Dred Scott Decision". This created an outrage in the North, particularly among abolitionists, and was an important factor in creating tensions which led to the Civil War. This historical marker is located to the left of the main entrance of Crafted Quad Cities, 217 E. 2nd Street, across the street from the Davenport River Center. It reads "On this site was located the home of John Emerson, post surgeon at Fort Armstrong, and of his famous slave, Dred Scott." It states it was erected by the DAR chapter in 1928. Thank you to Dustin Oliver for notification of this monument, providing directions, and the photo. The photo was taken 7/18/09.