|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Pottawattamie County - Council Bluffs
This monument was erected in 1911 and commemorates Abraham Lincolnís visit to Council Bluffs in 1859 to consult with Grenville Dodge regarding a transcontinental railroad. The monument has a bronze plaque and is about 25 feet high. This spot overlooks the Missouri River and Omaha. Dodge told Lincoln that the best route was "Westward from Council Bluffs". Take Oakland Avenue north off Kanesville Blvd/Highway 6. The monument is to the left of the entrance to Fairview Cemetery. The photos were taken 9/1/08.