|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Lucas County - Chariton
Civil War Soldier Monument
This is an attractive 25 foot monument on the SE corner of courthouse square, 916 Braden Avenue, in Chariton. It was erected in 1916 and has a GAR emblem on the front. The Union soldier is dressed in sack coat and slouch hat. The second photo shows the GAR flagpole - note the "GAR" weather vane on top of the flagpole. Thanks to Jim Braden for notification of this and the photo. The 3rd and 4th photos are from local historian Frank Myers - he reports that the flagpole was installed in 1908 in a different location and was a towering 105 feet high. It was decided in 1920 to move it to the Civil War monument. However, it was discovered that water had entered the top portion and rust damage required it to be sawn off to the present height. The GAR weather vane was re-attached. Also included is an old undated postcard thanks to Danny Krock - note the cannons shown at lower left and right which are missing in more recent photos. The cannons were scrapped in World War II.