|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Page County - Clarinda
Civil War Soldier at Courthouse
This 30 foot granite monument is on the SW corner of the Courthouse Square. It is in good condition. The monument was dedicated on Memorial Day in May, 1913. Clarinda has a very impressive Courthouse with a white clock-tower and an atrium with balconies on the interior. Near the monument is a plaque honoring WWII Medal of Honor Recipient Vernon Baker of Clarinda. He is one of seven African-American MOH Recipients during the War. Photo taken 2/8/09.
On October 6, 2013, members of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War - many from the William Kinsman Camp #4 - conducted a ceremony to re-dedicate the monument in its 100th anniversary year. See second photo below. Page County Supervisor Elaine Armstrong reported that there were 85 CW soldiers present at the 1913 dedicaton and the total cost of the monument was $5500. Also, Page County had a reputation of for sending a greater percentage of men than any other county in the state. This included 512 soldiers from the county with 71 deaths, including those killed in battle and those who died of wounds and disease.
The final image is of an old undated postcard - thanks to Danny Krock for providing it.