|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Wapello County - Eldon
Cannon in Cemetery
This is a massive cannon at the entrance to the Eldon Cemetery. According to the Civil War Artillery Registry, it is a XI” Dahlgren shell gun cast at the West Point Foundry in 1859. It is 15,718 pounds, one of the largest Civil War cannons in the state. Taking Highway 16 from the north,turn east on Highway 918 to the cemetery. From town, turn north at Caseys on 25th Street to the cemetery. Photo taken 8/6/10.
Eldon is best known as the home of the Gothic House in Grant Wood's famous painting. It is nicely restored and worth a stop.