|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Jefferson County - Fairfield
Marble Plaque in Old Library
This impressive plaque is about 6 feet by 6 feet. It was dedicated in 1894. The marble “mail box” at the bottom formerly held a red leather bound book by J. A. Spielman. A note in the box states that the book is “preserved at the Headquarters of the GAR at the State House in Des Moines.” The Old Library, on the National Register of Historical Places, is now used by Indian Hills Community College. The plaque is on the first floor. There is also a historical museum on the third floor. The building is one block south of the town square on the corner of Washington Street and Court Avenue. Photo taken 12/18/07.