|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Marion County - Knoxville
Soldier, Peace Tree Plaque and Case of Civil War Artifacts
This monument has a statue of a Civil War soldier but is dedicated to soldiers, sailors and marines of all wars. It was dedicated November 11, 1920. It is a granite monument about 25 feet high on the NW corner of the courthouse square in Knoxville. It has an unusual amount of detail - see the second photo. Just south of the Monument is the Peace Tree plaque. This is dedicated to the spot under a tree where 40 soldiers enlisted on February 4, 1863. The original tree, of course, is gone but a replacement tree is located here and shows up behind the Monument in the photo. In the courthouse is a case of CW artifacts including swords, a sash, canteen, bugle, powder horn and GAR ballot box. It includes a large collection of GAR ribbons from Captain Charles Wells of the 8th Iowa. Photos taken 8/6/10 of the monument and plaque and 11/18/08 of the case in the courthouse.