|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Marion County - Gosport
Elm Tree Memorial Park
This monument marks the spot under an elm tree where a number of Iowa boys assembled and marched to Davenport – then joined a variety of regiments. The original monument has a plaque on a boulder and was dedicated by the DAR in 1938. The second plaque has the names of the soldiers and was dedicated on July 1, 1996 by Veterans and descendents of these soldiers. The soldiers joined the Iowa 3rd, 8th, 15th, 31st, 33rd, 40th, and 47th Infantry Regiments. To find this tiny park on the site of the old town of Gosport (which no longer exists), take Highway 14 south of Knoxville for about 7 1/2 miles, then turn west on the Melcher-Dallas road (G76), then turn north on 103rd Avenue for about 1/8 of a mile to find the park. Photos taken 10/20/07.