Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments
Wapello County - Ottumwa

Cannon Monument and Building at Cemetery
The Ottumwa Cemetery has a GAR section with a cannon monument and 54 CW tombstones. It also has an attractive building at the entrance dedicated to CW Veterans. The cannon is a 32 pounder Navy gun cast at Cyrus Alger & Co. in 1849. It is upright with a “cannonball” at the top. The building is an office/chapel that was completed in 1906 and was dedicated to Union Soldiers and Sailors of the CW. The building is in the SW corner of the cemetery while the cannon is on a road north from the building. The GPS setting is based on the cannon monument. The entrance is located at Court Street and Park Street - take Court Street north from the business district. Photos taken 12/14/07.

Medal of Honor recipient Leonidas Godley is buried in this cemetery but not in the GAR section. Another Medal of Honor recipient, James Daniel Gardner, is buried in the Calvary Cemetery in Ottumwa. Both of these are listed as separate monuments in Wapello County.

Cannon Monument and Building at Cemetery Cannon Monument and Building at Cemetery