|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Polk County - Des Moines
The Iowa State Capital is “protected” on the west steps by large Civil War cannons and one captured in the Spanish-American War. The 13 inch mortar, M1861, 17,314 lbs., was cast at Fort Pitt Foundry in 1861. It was mounted on gunboat Mathew Vassar and used in the bombardment of Vicksburg. There are two 100 pounder, 6.4 inch Navy Parrott rifles, both cast at West Point Foundry. The one on the north was manufactured in 1863 and was used on the USS Nipsic. The one in the next photo was cast in 1864 and served on the USS Tallapoosa. Photos taken 9/21/07. There is a 90mm German manufactured Bachumer Verein rifle dated 1889 captured in 1898 in the Battle of Santiago. The photos of this cannon and the plaque were taken 2/10/09. North and across the street from the Captital is an 8 inch Spanish howitzer. It came from the Maria Theresa, a Cuban ship sunk by the USS Iowa II in the battle of Santiago in the Spanish-American War. Inscriptions include "C. Campo de Alange 1795" and "N 8494 Sevilla 16 De Junio de 1848". Photos of the Spanish howitzer were taken 8/24/08.