|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Polk County - Des Moines
Flower Girl Monument Woodland
According to Woodland Cemetery historian Gerald LeBlanc, the first Decoration Day was in Des Moines in 1868. The parade was led by 12 flower girls dressed in white who went to the south GAR section at Woodland and laid flowers at the tombstones of fallen Civil War soldiers. This tradition continued, and many years later, older soldiers wanted to erect a monument that included the flower girls. This occurred on Memorial Day, 1907 with an 8 foot monument. The original name was the Monument to the Unknown Dead but is best known today as the Flower Girl Monument. The Flower Girl at the top had deteriorated and had to be replaced about 2000. This is in the east GAR section of Woodland. Photos taken 10/19/16. The final image, thanks to Ron Rittel, is the newspaper article with a photo of grandchildren of CW Veterans who were to decorate the Monument.