|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Polk County - Des Moines
There are two Civil War cannons in the Glendale Cemetery in Des Moines, Iowa. The one on the left is an 8 inch siege howitzer, M1861 cast at the Cyrus Alger foundry in 1864. The one on the right is a 3 inch ordnance rifle, M1861 from Phoenix Iron Company in 1863. This is a city operated cemetery located between 48th and 55th on University Avenue. The entrance is located across the street from the Waveland Golf course entrance. The cannons are located in Block 16 of the cemetery in a very nice setting in a section for veterans of the Spanish-American War. Photos taken 6/6/08.