|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Madison County - Winterset
Monumental Park including Cannons
This monument, dedicated on October 17, 1867, was one of the earliest erected in Iowa. There are inscriptions on the four sides. It is a 14 foot marble monument on a 5 foot limestone base. The cannons, included in 1878, are 6 pounder bronze field guns, M1841, painted black. Two were made at Ames Manufacturing Co. - one in 1855 and one in 1861. Another was cast at Cyrus Alger & Co. in 1861 - the fourth is from William D. Marshall & Co., cast in 1862. Monumental Park is one block east of the Town Square in Winterset.
Recently, several very nice enhancements have been made including the new entrance, concrete foundations for the cannons and the cannonball stack for each cannon.
A remarkable book, "A Monumental Place" by Town Historian Walt Libby, was published in 2008. He documents a great deal about the monument and the park from the origination to the present day. Photos taken 10/27/09, 6/16/14, and 6/27/17. The final photo is of an old undated postcard provided by Danny Krock..