|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Hardin County - Eldora
Soldier Monument and Cannon at Courthouse
The soldier monument is “white bronze” or zinc and 40 feet high. The soldiers of the region are named around the base. There are panels of Washington, Lincoln, Grant and Farragut. The Grant panel is a replacement. It was dedicated in 1886. In the 1980’s the monument was sagging and there was danger of losing it. It was taken apart and concrete was used on the inside as a foundation. Today there is some separation and cracking of the white bronze.
The cannon is a 3.67 inch Army Parrott rifle cast at the West Point Foundry in 1863 with a carriage and limber in great condition. The markings on the cannon are highlighted. In the 1950’s the wheels had rotted and were thrown away. In the early 1990’s Gene Farmer rebuilt the carriage and limber using the original specifications for the wood along with the original iron. The cannon sets under a shelter for protection from the elements. Mr. Farmer has led efforts to provide the shelter along with restoration of the cannon and monument. The location is on the east side of the courthouse. Photos taken 1/27/08 and 8/21/10. Also included is an old undated copy of a postcard showing the cannon in a different location and without the shelter. Thanks to Danny Krock for providing this.