|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Floyd County - Charles City
Civil War Cannon/Monument
This cannon was presented to the city in 1900. It was rededicated by the SUVCW in 2001. It is a 24 pounder flank howitzer, M1844 cast at Cyrus Alger & Co. in 1863. Riverside Cemetery is difficult to find. It is in the NW part of town. From downtown - take Lane Street which turns into Shelby - then turn right and take Hart Street to the entrance. The cannon is NW of the entrance - look for the flagpole. Photo taken 9/3/10.