|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Linn County - Marion
Soldier and Cannon
Marion's Central Park has a Civil War soldier monument and a cannon. The soldier is on a 12 foot granite base and has 4 bronze plaques on each side. The plaques have some graffiti. The soldier is painted a shiny gray. The monument was dedicated in 1914. The cannon is a 24 pounder flank howitzer, M1844, cast at Cyrus Alger & Co. in 1863. According to SUVCW member James Johnston, there used to be a second cannon but it was melted down for use in WWII. The park is located in the central business district off Business Highway 151. Photos taken 6/6/08. The final image is a copy from an old postcard showing the cannon and park scene - thanks to Danny Krock for providing this.