|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Fayette County - Clermont
This is a striking statue of Abraham Lincoln, standing 7 feet, 6 inches, with four bas relief sculptures of Civil War scenes. The sculptor was George Bissell. The monument was a gift of Gov. Larrabee at a cost over $5000. The monument was completed in 1902 and dedicated in 1903. It is in a small park on Highway 18 just east of the business district in historic Clermont. The panels are, on the east, "Leaving for War"; on the north, a scene from Shiloh; on the south, a scene from Mobile Bay with Admiral Farragut; and on the west, a scene from Appomattox. The first two had images of local soldiers. Thanks to Jeanenne Cullop for sending a copy of the 12/3/1902 Hartley Herald with historic information about this monument. Photos taken 3/25/08.