|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
O'Brien County - Hartley
This monument was destroyed during a tornado on June 16, 1944. The church steeple from the Methodist Church fell on the monument. Howard Borchard of Hartley was helpful in sending the first postcard and historical information. It was of white bronze and 28 feet in height. The cost was $2600. On the dedication day on June 4, 1891 it was reported "A fine military band from Hull led the procession. Old soldiers, Sons of Veterans, and Womens' Relief Corps, with banners, badge and flags called forth both enthusiasm and patriotism." Names of all members of the Hartley GAR Post were inscribed on the monument including the names of companies and regiments. Later, a copy of the postcard showing the church was received from Danny Krock and the street scene was received from David Shedlock. More recently we received a copy of the Hartley Sentinel of 6/16/1944 from Jeanenne Cullop with information about the tornado and destruction of the monument. The monument was moved sometime after 1931 from the street (probably the first two photos) to the church. Thanks to everyone for these photos and historical information.