|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Polk County - Des Moines
Camp Burnside Marker
This plaque marks the spot of Camp Burnside where the Iowa 23rd and 39th Regiments were assembled and trained in 1862. It is located in the SE corner of Redhead Park at E 18th and Dean on the east side of Des Moines. It was dedicated in 1925 by the SUVCW Dodge Camp Auxiliary. In 2016 attractive landscaping was planted in front of the Monument. The first photo was taken 4/30/09 - the second one 9/17/16.