|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Cass County - Lewis
George B. Hitchcock House - Underground Railroad
This house was a station on the Underground Railroad. It was built of sandstone from a local quarry in 1856 and is now on the National Register of Historic Places. George Hitchcock was a Congregational minister and active in helping fugitive slaves to freedom. The house is located one mile west and 1/2 mile south of Lewis. It is off Nishna Valley Road which runs west out of Lewis. Call 712 769-2323 for information about tours. Photos taken 5/16/09 and 8/19/14.