|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Pottawattamie County - Council Bluffs
3 inch Ordnance Rifle
This is a 3 inch ordnance rifle, M1861 cast at the Phoenix Iron Works in 1862. It weighs 813 pounds as noted below on the clear markings on the face of the barrel. It was originally on display at Abraham Lincoln High School in Council Bluffs. The graduating class of 1910 donated the cannon and carriage to the school as their class gift. Due to deterioration of the carriage and then the cannon mount, in 1997 the school had a member of the SUVCW restore the barrel and build a carriage. In turn he would have it for use in reenactments and other special occasions. While it remains in the excellent care of this person and is not on display at the school, it is clearly understood that the ownership remains with the Council Bluffs School District. The first photo was taken at the Kinsman monument rededication on 5/18/13 in Council Bluffs. The other photos were taken 6/13/09 at Carson, Iowa.