|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Scott County - Davenport
First Bridge Across the Mississippi Monument
This monument marks the western abutment of the first bridge across the Mississippi which was built in 1856. Two weeks after completion, the steamboat Effie Afton hit the bridge, caught fire and burned to the water line. The steamship companies sued the railroad but, defended by Abraham Lincoln, the railroad prevailed and the bridge remained open. Besides the significance of Lincoln's involvement, this was very important to Iowa's development in opening commerce to the east. The original bridge no longer exists - it is near today's Government Bridge which connects to Arsenal Island. It is along the north side (or side away from the River) of River Drive at the intersection of East Forth Street. The DAR plaque was dedicated in 1928 and the large monument was dedicated in 1956. Photos taken 6/30/09.