|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
County - Minneapolis
Medal of Honor Recipient Lewis A. Grant
General Lewis Grant (1829-1918) was the Colonel of the 5th Vermont Infantry. Later he was promoted to Brigadier General and led the "Old Vermont Brigade" in many of the major battles in the East. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for "personal gallantry and intrepidity" at Salem Church on May 3, 1864. After the war, he moved to Des Moines to practice law and deal in real estate. He platted the town of Waukee. He served as Assistant Secretary of War from 1890-93 and later moved to Minneapolis due to real estate holdings there. He is buried in Lakewood Cemetery in Minneapolis at West 36th and Hennipin. It is maintained in wonderful condition - the location within the cemetery is on the south edge of section 8. There is a larger stone marked "Grant" but this is for his son, Ulysses Sherman Grant. The small markers for Lewis Grant are located just east. This is close to a large GAR Memorial with a statue of a CW soldier and a cannon. Photos taken 7/10/09.