|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Linn County - Marion
Marion Memorial Hall
The Women's Relief Corps raised the funds and completed this building in 1900. It was used by veterans groups, including the GAR, into the 1950's. The upper floor included a "lodge-hall, kitchen and parlor." The lower floor was rented out to provide income for maintaining the building. The old photo shows CW Veterans in the Hall in 1934 - their names are shown below the photo. The building had become run-down but the current owner has done a wonderful job of renovation. On the first floor is an Irish bar in back and a gift shop in the front. The upper floor is a residence for the owner. The building is located in the Marion business district at 760 11th Street. Thanks to Jim Johnston for the photos and information and history of the building.