|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Marion County - Pella
Plaque dedicated to James Murray Cox
J. M. Cox (1845-1925) enlisted as a drummer in Co. G of the 17th Iowa Infantry in l862 at the age of 16. He was taken prisoner and paroled on December 20, 1862 at Holly Springs, Mississippi. He re-enlisted in the same regiment in 1864 and was promoted to Principal Musician and was the leader of the regiment's band. He again was captured at Tilton, Georgia on October 13, 1864 and sent to Andersonville Prison where he remained for over 7 months until the war was over. The band, captured intact, often played in prison. Known as Murray Cox or "Captain" Cox, he returned to Pella after the War and was a leader of town bands for many years. He was active in the GAR and a prominent town citizen. On September 28, 1922, a new bandstand in Central Park was dedicated in his honor. It is believed the plaque was also dedicated and placed on the bandstand at this time. In recent years, the bandstand was taken down and the plaque was moved to the Pella Historical Village at Franklin and E 1st Street on the east edge of the Pella business district. Photo taken 9/1/11.