|Department of Iowa - Civil War Monuments|
Pottawattamie County - Council Bluffs
Union Veterans Legion Monument
This monument is in the Walnut Hill Cemetery in Council Bluffs. It was erected May 30, 1904. Membership in the Union Veterans Legion required volunteering prior to July 1, 1863 for a term of 3 years and being honorably discharged. Service had to be at least 2 years if the discharge was due to battlefield wounds. Membership in the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), where any veteran was eligible, was much more common. There is little record of the Legion in Iowa and this is its only known monument. The cemetery is on the east side of the city - take Highway 6 to North Avenue then turn south one block to E. Pierce Street and follow it to Walnut Hill. The monument is on the road to the left or west side of the cemetery. Thank you to Richard Hickman for notification of this unusual monument and the excellent photos. The photos were taken 8/27/12.